Let's take a more in depth look at the Habit Master and the journey that he or she is truly bound upon. Although it may seem to commence with a goal or a desire, the Habit Master ultimately discovers a longing for something more. There is an inner perturbation - a welling up or surge of unrest. I call this stage in the journey, the stage of Divine Discontent.
It is here that the pathway leads to a fork in the road. One side leads to early achievements while the other leads to a lifelong adventure of high calling. And what is this high calling?
It is the calling of purpose. It is a longing or desire to use one's gifts and talents in some way. It is a driving energetic force as if an electrical current has lit the fire of the soul. Together purpose, passion, gifts, and talents galvanize the Habit Master's energies leading him or her to take the high road.
Joseph Campbell once said, " The big question is whether you are going to be able to say YES to your adventure."
Purpose evokes our character. In taking the high road, the Habit Master discovers that the journey itself calls forth who we are and who we become.
This is the turning point and the commencement of the 'grand adventure' marking the onset of the journey inward. It is like the peeling away of the onion to discover the source within - the seed of the soul.
- Habit Masters™ seek to live in the here and now. They live in the present and understand the power of presence!
- Habit Masters™ intend to learn their lessons now rather than when they come round again. Even if now happens to be the third or forth time round, to the best of their ability the Habit Master™ handles the lesson at the time they catch it.
- Habit Masters™ know that the investment of today is the wealth of tomorrow.
Join the Habit Master™ team and let us hear of your adventures of personal transformation!
People often ask me, where do you begin on this life-long journey of success, and fulfillment. I know from personal experience on the Habit MasterTM path that the journey begins with service.
It starts with a burning desire to live a life that helps something or someone, a life that in some way improves the lot of others. And although this expression of service may come in different forms or be expressed in different ways it is the major driver for high level success and satisfaction.
Reflect for a moment on Luke Skywalker's ascent from boyhood to hero. It was purpose that evoked Luke's character as he progressed from a youth living with his Aunt and Uncle to the man who would save a Universe. In his ascent, Luke had to confront his doubts and fears and overcome his lesser habits to allow the seed of his soul its full expression.
And so it is with every Habit MasterTM who understands the way of wisdom that guides the journey. It is a passage from the mesmerization of the masses (a condition we are born into) to the realization of the infinite and immeasurable soul.
Further, the full flowering of strength for the journey happens in stages. So let's just look at stage one. What do you want?
As for myself, I think when I was younger I complained about my lot in life because one day a friend of mine said something that changed my perspective forever: “All I ever hear is what you don’t want in your life,” he said. “But you’ve never said what you do want.”
That evening I went home and thought about what my friend had said. “What do I want?” I wondered. So I made a list of what I did want. It was a very short list, but it was the best I could do at the time. It was the first time I had clearly stated a positive desire on paper. Looking back, I realize now that it was the beginning of my transformation. I wrote:
- I want to be the best that I can possibly be.
- I want to use my gifts and talents in whatever I do.
- I want to make a positive contribution to the lives of others.
Bingo! The third desire was the key that opened the door to all of the success and satisfaction that would ultimately follow in my life.
Even though I wasn't clear about what my gifts and talents were and even though the edges of my picture were not clearly defined, I had enough information to begin formulating an image. It was the beginning of a life transforming process and the clarification of my purpose, although I didn’t know it at the time.
So, as Covey said, "Begin with the end in mind."
- Even if it isn't fully clear, start wherever you are and write it down because writing it accelerates the process.
- And remember to include the contribution part (that could be to people or to science or music etc.).
It’s Sunday morning. I spent the entire week writing.
- I wrote over 35 pages of anti-bullying curriculum for the 2nd and 3rd grades.
- I wrote 32 pages of anti-bullying curriculum for the 4th and 5th grades.
- I also finished a 2 page children’s teaching story.
I came to my computer this morning in a mood. I wanted just one day off. I didn’t want to spend another hour pounding out words on the computer. I didn’t even want to put a single word to paper. I was over the top done with writing for the week! It was one of those ‘stop the world I want to get off’ days. I wanted a break from everything but most of all I wanted a break from writing! "After all," I thought, "It's Sunday. Most people take a day off on Sunday."
I turned on my computer and opened my browser. My start up page popped up instantly with the classy new iPad Air - gorgeous, sleek, another shiny new toy from Apple. And I love Apple. I love my Mac, my iPad mini, my iPhone, even my old iPod. I glazed over for a moment staring at Apple's flashy new addition to the iPad family.
Then I hit the WordPress URL on my bookmarks bar... no response. I clicked on it again. Again there was no response. I had 3 blogs that I'd started. And I wanted to get into one of them to complete it.
Over the next two hours I clicked on it 17 times. And I finally got the message! Of course I knew that the universe is a reflection of me. But the reflection has usually happened over time.
Today's message was crystal clear! The universe is a mirror of me in every single moment. It is a reflection of my every thought! And sometimes the reflection reveals itself at lightening speed - instantaneous and exacting!
I didn't want to write today, but I did want to share this! It's another reminder to manage my mind and handle my emotional energy! When I finally do get into my back office, I'll hang this post... I hope you enjoy it and can relate!
I sometimes feel as if I'm in a conversation with each and every one of you out there. It seems to be an ongoing conversation because it comes to me in the most remarkable momentary bubbles of dialogue as I'm going about my day.
So this morning I was able to catch the bubble because I was in quiet meditation when suddenly this popped into my mind. "You keep talking about this Habit Master™ stuff. But why be a Habit Master™? What's the point? Why should people think of becoming a Habit Master™? Why join the Habit Master™ Circle?"
So I decided to get it down in short bullet points. I've said it in different ways before. But this is succinct and clear. So here it is... straight from my morning med.
It all begins with the wonderful mystery of you!
- You are in a body, but you are not your body.
- You live on Earth for a short time relative to universal time.
- You came with gifts and talents.
- Your mission is to discover your gifts and talents and contribute them to your whole family (of mankind).
- You also were raised in a human family.
- Your parents had habits.
- Some of their habits were imprinted into you. In other words they were absorbed pre-cognitively, or before you could think about it.
- These habits stick like 'oyster glue'.
- Some of these habits serve you on your mission and some don't and never will.
- There are habits that will serve you on your mission.
- You have to decide what you want to be and do or life will decide for you.
- This is the Habit MasterTM Quest!
There it is in short terms straight from my morning meditation. Over the coming weeks I will be sharing those habits that will help you in your quest.
Always remember to remember who you are. You are not who others think you are. You are not even who you think you are. And once you release the world's programming you will begin to discover the great and miraculous being that you truly are. Then the success of your mission is gauranteed!
The way of the true leader
Is the taming of the mind,
For true leaders
Have come to recognize the mind
As a majestic,
Yet wild stallion.
Thus, they approach
The task of taming
With wondrous respect.
Knowing that great stallions
Must never be broken,
The true leader advances gently.
Using stillness as a bridle,
They calm the stallion’s wild power,
Harnessing the strength
Of the mind,
Towards right action
And honorable purpose.
©2012 Wisdom's Way ~ The Art of the True Leader by D. Trinidad Hunt
Habit Masters know four things.
They know that:
- They do not know what they do not know.
- The deepest most relentless habits, the ones that stick like oyster glue, are the habits that came from our upbringing.
- These are the beliefs, attitudes and opinions that we cling to as if they were truth.
- The neural pathways were etched before we were cognizant. Therefore they are the hardest to see and they usually go unquestioned.
- This is because we think that what we think is real.
- The Habit Masters Journey is a hero's journey. It is the journey of the self to know the self.
- Habit Masters know that the investment of today is the wealth of tomorrow.
To expand your vision, use the Habit Masters' initiatives:
- Try to see yourself as others see you. It is much easier to tidy your hair when you can see your reflection in a mirror. Actively seek feedback from different people who play different roles in your life.
- Expand your awareness. Pay attention to both the internal signals your body is sending when talking or working with others. (What are your muscles doing? Are they relaxed or tense? And what does each of these states mean?)
- Be aware of the external signals. Learn to read the cues that others are sending during any interaction. (Read facial expressions and body language and respond appropriately.)
Be honest with yourself as you gather information. Acknowledge your strengths and weaknesses as seen from others' perspectives.Set goals to enhance your strengths. In the areas of your shortcomings, set goals to close the gaps between where you are and where you want to be.
Then do the Habit Master process, pick one goal to work on at a time. Remember 24 to 30 days of practice will begin to change your life!
And keep the letters and notes coming... I always love to hear from you!
Consider this for a moment. You are the host or hostess in your home. At times you may have guests in for a visit. And after a certain time, they leave.
So it is with our brain. We are the host or hostess to our thoughts. Or are we?
I don't know about you but I've noticed that thoughts often enter my mind without being invited. And sometimes they linger, uninvited visitors that stay because I haven't intentionally asked them to leave.
Every thought has a chemical as well as an energetic signature. I've noticed that if I host a negative thought a mood comes with it. And if I allow it to stay, it can easily consume my entire attention, becoming the prevalent thought or mood for an hour or a day.
Over time, as I became more adept at inner self-reflection, I began to notice the obvious. Thoughts and feelings ebb and flow. They wander in and out and I don't have to be the effect of them. They are after all, guests and not the owners of the house.
So how do you take back your 'home'? What are the habit masters' secrets to reclaiming their territory?
- Put your mind to good use. It is, after all, your mind. Invite the guest to leave. It doesn't get to live there. You do!
- Use displacement - I tend to be highly visual so I displace the emotion by filling my mind with a picture of of a loved one until it becomes so strong that it commands my full attention. In any case, use all of your senses to fill your mind and heart with positive thoughts and feelings of someone you care deeply about.
- Use the power of appreciation. The Heartmath Institute teaches that appreciation is one of the most powerful positive life transforming emotions there is.
- Focus your attention on your heart and think of something that you are grateful for in your life. Fill your heart with the feeling of happiness that appreciation brings.
- Imagine a channel from your heart to your brain.
- Then fill this channel with the feeling of appreciation, sending it from your heart to your brain and you will quickly reclaim your mind.
Remember to remember who you are. You are the host in your own head. So if you're feeling stuck, fearful, resistant or experiencing any of the lower thoughts or emotions, ask the intruder to leave. Reclaim your brain for more consistent levels of joy and satisfaction in your life.
There are stories of our past which can release and heal. And there are other stories that carry within them the magical power to shape and fashion our future.
Like the conductor who changes the rail the train is on and turns it in another direction, story telling allows us to change the track of our lives. If we want to unshackle ourselves from the past and create a new future, we have to write a new story.
Story comes out of the deepest part of our nature, of who we are. It is the heart and soul of creation. It helps us step out of time for a moment and shift reality forever.
And here is a story that will help you shift your reality forever...
- Imagine for a moment that you are 87 years of age sitting in your study, gazing out the window. You may see the ocean, or a meadow or a mountain out there; but as you continue gazing, your life rises up in images and words and flashes through your heart and mind.
- You have had a life well spent. You used your gifts and talents in service to mankind. You made a contribution to the lives of those around you and all those you touched.
- And now you feel an urge to write about it. Write it in the third person. And write it from the perspective of looking back at what this person did. (I.e. "Susan did this... She was known for a her empathy and understanding... One of her gifts was her remarkable ability to make everyone feel... At the age of 46 Susan started...")
- Include in your writing the following:
- What did you do?
- What did you give?
- What will you be remembered for and why will you be remembered?
- What did other people experience in your presence?
- Why was it that children and animals were attracted to you?
- Why is the world a better place for your having lived?
Once you have written your story, read it , visualize it, feel it. Imagine putting it on and wearing it like a mantle that you are growing into and becoming. Mind map or brainstorm what need to do or emphasize to become the story you have envisioned. Finally, pick your top three action steps, post them where you can see them every day. (You may want to visit some of my blogs such as The Habit Master's Secrets, Who or What Defines You?, or The Oyster Glue Series to help you on this transformational journey.)
Changing our story has the magical power to transform who we are and who we become. I invite you to do this exercise more than once, perhaps on a yearly basis, to revisit and reinvigorate your vision. You are here for a reason. You are here to make a difference. Your life has a purpose. Writing and visualizing your story from the future looking back on a life well spent will begin to reveal that purpose to you. Taking the action steps will help move you towards it as you become what your soul always intended you to be.
What future will you create? Write your story now.
There is a wonderful story about an experiment that was done many years ago. The experimenter put a batch of fleas into a jar and covered the jar with clear plastic kitchen wrap. In the first few hours the fleas would jump up and hit the plastic seal at the top of the jar.
Soon they discovered that if they jumped just short of the top, they wouldn't bang their heads against the plastic. So all of them happily jumped about an eighth of an inch short of the top. They were comfortable. They were happy.
A few days later the experimenter took the plastic seal off the top of the jar. The fleas never left the jar because they were now trained. They continued to jump an eighth of an inch short of the top because it had become a habit.
- Have we become like those fleas in the jar?
- Are we still afraid that we might bump our heads on the ceiling?
- Are we thinking there is a limit to how far we can go?
- Have we accepted the limited outcomes of the past as if they were true?
These limits fall within the overarching categories of assumptions, expectations, beliefs, and opinions. These manifest as a series of thought and behavioral patterns.
- Fear of failure
- Fear of success
- Lack of confidence
How do you break the chain? It starts in the here and now. If you have a fear thought, do what you do with a child, change the subject. Replace the thought immediately with a thought or an image that brings you joy, peace, strength or confidence or any combination of these.
Remember, you cannot hold two thoughts in your mind at the same time. Dr. Irving Oyle calls the chemicals that flow through the body with fear 'anger juice'. He also coined the phrase 'joy juice' for the chemicals that accompany feelings of happiness.
I personally keep a picture of a loved one on my desk, and if anything of a lower nature creeps in, I immediately look at the picture and feel the feelings of love strength and warmth flowing through me. These positive feelings and thoughts usurp the space that the negative thought held and 'joy juice' flows through my brain and body.
Remember, you are not separate from the success you seek. As you hold positive thoughts and feelings, everything you do flows more smoothly, everyone you meet feels happier around you, the goals you wish to attain begin to rush towards you.
And then you realize that you are the success you seek. You create it with every thought, emotions and feeling that you hold in your mind and heart.
Try this experiment. In the morning, before you go to work, give yourself a shot of 'joy juice' by holding this thought; This is going to be a wonderful day because I am the success I seek. Then observe your interactions, the events that occur, the people that you meet throughout the day.
Have a great day and a wonderful week! And let me know how that works for you...
- Financial planner
- Decision maker
Any of the "not good enough" concepts come from feeling as if we're all alone. But we aren't alone, nor have we ever been alone. There is the power of the universal mind that surrounds us and the wisdom of the ages available to each of us if we only know how to tap it. This easy 5 step process works for everything from skill development, to our roles and goals as well as the qualities we want to develop or enhance in ourselves! So how do we reconnect with our own inner wisdom? The answer is pretty simple - call on the experts. Here's how you do it.
- First select a role, a skill or a quality you would like to develop. Make it clear and make it singular. Don't try to lump two or three things together in one session. (I.e. the role of parent, or leader, the skill of photography or writing, or the quality of optimism or self-motivation.
- When you are ready, do a 1 minute deep breathing relaxation exercise. You might try one of my 1 Minute Meds to get into the alpha relaxation state.
- Invite the inner expert on the item you've chosen to join you and take the lead on the session. If there are items needed for the session such as a camera or computer all are instantly available as the expert takes you on a journey to his or her 'best place' for learning.
- Feel the entire body of knowledge merging within your consciousness as the expert opens all their learning and releases into you. The expert may communicate in images, feelings, words or a combination of these as the wisdom of all ages regarding your item is revealed to you. Breathe their wisdom into every pore of your being. Feel yourself absorbing as if by osmosis at hyper speed.
This exercise should take no more than 4-6 minutes. The learning is transmitted to the subconscious mind and becomes instantly available to you. It is like stepping into a new outfit of clothing. Feel how well it fits and how becoming you are in it. You may want to try the skill or visualize using the quality immediately after the session. Notice how rapidly you are improving. After one or two closed eye sessions such as this, begin practicing contact and osmosis while you are walking to the copier at work or in your home office. Amp up the feelings of mastery as if you were brightening the images and feelings on a TV.