There are stories of our past which can release and heal. And there are other stories that carry within them the magical power to shape and fashion our future.
Like the conductor who changes the rail the train is on and turns it in another direction, story telling allows us to change the track of our lives. If we want to unshackle ourselves from the past and create a new future, we have to write a new story.
Story comes out of the deepest part of our nature, of who we are. It is the heart and soul of creation. It helps us step out of time for a moment and shift reality forever.
And here is a story that will help you shift your reality forever...
- Imagine for a moment that you are 87 years of age sitting in your study, gazing out the window. You may see the ocean, or a meadow or a mountain out there; but as you continue gazing, your life rises up in images and words and flashes through your heart and mind.
- You have had a life well spent. You used your gifts and talents in service to mankind. You made a contribution to the lives of those around you and all those you touched.
- And now you feel an urge to write about it. Write it in the third person. And write it from the perspective of looking back at what this person did. (I.e. "Susan did this... She was known for a her empathy and understanding... One of her gifts was her remarkable ability to make everyone feel... At the age of 46 Susan started...")
- Include in your writing the following:
- What did you do?
- What did you give?
- What will you be remembered for and why will you be remembered?
- What did other people experience in your presence?
- Why was it that children and animals were attracted to you?
- Why is the world a better place for your having lived?
Once you have written your story, read it , visualize it, feel it. Imagine putting it on and wearing it like a mantle that you are growing into and becoming. Mind map or brainstorm what need to do or emphasize to become the story you have envisioned. Finally, pick your top three action steps, post them where you can see them every day. (You may want to visit some of my blogs such as The Habit Master's Secrets, Who or What Defines You?, or The Oyster Glue Series to help you on this transformational journey.)
Changing our story has the magical power to transform who we are and who we become. I invite you to do this exercise more than once, perhaps on a yearly basis, to revisit and reinvigorate your vision. You are here for a reason. You are here to make a difference. Your life has a purpose. Writing and visualizing your story from the future looking back on a life well spent will begin to reveal that purpose to you. Taking the action steps will help move you towards it as you become what your soul always intended you to be.
What future will you create? Write your story now.