We just finished a powerful 7 day training for 3 principals from Melbourne, Australia (names in bold).
All three principals run their own school. Professionally, they are leaders. Yet each has a life that is far bigger than their careers.
In reflecting on the training and the meaning of leadership I realized that everyone plays a number of roles in life. You may be partner, parent, teacher, principal, sister, brother, friend, aunty or uncle, daughter or son all at the same time. You are a leader; you make a difference in every role that you play.
Your thoughts, mind set, attitude, and actions make a difference. You have the power to touch those in your world in a positive way by changing yourself.
Here are three secrets of leadership from within:
- Discover the difference between success and significance. Choose to become a person of significance, a person who makes a positive difference in the lives of those around them.
- Know yourself! Look at yourself in the mirror every morning and promise yourself a great day.
- Intend to have a positive influence in the lives of those around you today.
- Use all five senses to visualize the day in vivid detail.
- Give thanks for a great day.
- Close the day at the end of the day.
- Give thanks for all the good things that happened in the day.
- Intend to improve and be an even more positive influence tomorrow.
Remember that it takes 24- 30 days to imbed a habit. Don’t be like the 5 year old who planted a carrot seed and then got so impatient that he dug it up every day to see if it was growing. Plant the seeds and water them by doing the practice daily. If you give the change a chance to take, the results will surely follow!