So many people have asked me what the word ‘Elan‘ means. It’s a French word that was absorbed into the English dictionary because the there was no English counterpart. ELAN is ZEST, ENTHUSIASM, SPIRIT.
Elan is at the heart of leadership! Elan is really the language of leadership! As a leader, keeping your spirit and enthusiasm high is more important than ever in these challenging times. Say a hearty YES to life! Your people need a model of positive energy at this time.
Here are 5 things you can do when your energy is challenged:
- Take a deep breath – then remember to remember to greet your employees and your customers with a positive smile.
- Do an energy up! Take a 1 minute break
- Stand up and get out on the floor. Connect with team members.
- Ask members of the team what 3 things they are thankful for right now.
- Write a ‘Quick List’ with your team of 3 things you can do immediately to improve the department. Then go to work on it with your team.
In all of this be authentic. Yes we are challenged. But challenges can bring out the best in us. Yes we are feeling it. Yet these times are helping us to learn, adapt and grow more quickly than ever!
Confront the challenges with ELAN – ZEST ENTHUSIASM & SPIRIT. Remember, we are not bystanders, our energy is central to the game and our attention and energy changes the energy around us!